We have compiled a list of facts about the need for sleep, (as if you needed encouraging). So grab a pillow and get comfy, when you’ve finished reading this you’ll be sure to want a snooze.
- Scientist aren’t sure exactly why we need sleep
2. Humans are probably the only species that cannot keep half their brain conscious
3. 1/3 of your life is spent sleeping
4. On average 6 years of your life are spent dreaming
5. You only dream about faces you know
6. Sleeping strengthens memories
7. The Guinness World Record for sleep deprivation is 264 hours (11 days) and 12 minutes,
it was held by a 17 year old named Randy Gardner in 1964.
QI states the record is 18 days 21 hours and 40 minutes
8. Just 16 hours without sleep causes a decrease in performance
9. A lack of sleep causes risky decision making
10. Insufficient sleep is similar to being drunk
11. Sleep deprivation can result in a number of issues including fatigue, irritability, lack of concentration and stress.
Long term reduced sleep can cause a weakened immune system, depression and high blood pressure
12. Lack of sleep due to night shifts is classified as a potential cancer risk by the World Health Organisation
13. The Challenger space shuttle disaster, the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown and
Exxon oil spill all occurred due to a degree of sleep deprivation
14. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that 100,000 vehicle
crashes a year are caused by drowsy drivers, that’s 1,500 deaths and thousands of injuries
BUT before you go into eternal hibernation…
15. Excess sleep can disrupt the body’s ability to use insulin, raising the risk of diabetes
Sleep is invaluable so don’t deprive yourself of it, or indeed indulge in too much. As per usual balance is the key, it is best to create a routine to regulate your body clock and keep things ticking over. Sweet dreams…